Each year hundreds of students participate in the Reflections Program. When children express themselves through words, pictures, music, dance, and film, they grow intellectually and socially. The Reflections Program is designed to enhance a quality arts education by providing an opportunity for students to explore their artistic talents and receive positive recognition for their efforts.
What is Reflections?
It is a nationwide program that is a creative and fun way for all students to engage in the arts. It is amazing to see these talented youth bring to life wonderful works of art! Current categories :
- dance choreography
- music composition
- visual arts
There are 4 age groups for each category:
- K-2 (Primary)
The 2018-2019 program theme is “Heroes Around Me.” Encourage students to think about and explore the theme. Teachers can use the theme with classroom lessons while parents can use the theme to spark conversation at home.
Students can participate in the annual Theme Search Contest according to State PTA Reflections Program guidelines. One winning theme will be selected in 2019 and used as the Reflections program theme during the 2020-2021 school year.
Title and Artist Statement
Judges will consider your title and artist statement to learn more about your original work and creative interpretation of the theme. Give your work a title that stands out and describe how your work relates to your own personal interpretation of the theme.
Use these guiding questions to help you write an artist statement:
- How does your work relate to the theme?
- What is your personal connection to the theme?
- What did you use to create your work (e.g., supplies, technology, instrumentation, props, etc.)
- What/who was your inspiration?
Judges look for personal interpretations on the program theme that best exemplify creativity and technical skill.
- Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the work itself and the artist statement.
- Creativity: How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation.
- Technique: The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
Scholarships and Prizes
National level awards include the following:
- Merit Award: Bronze Medal; Certificate of Merit; Work featured in the traveling exhibition.
- Award of Excellence: $200 Young Artist Scholarship; Silver Medal; Certificate of Excellence; Work featured in the traveling exhibition.
- Outstanding Interpretation Award: An expense-paid trip for awardee and chaperone to showcase work on stage at the National PTA Awards and Reflections Celebration; $800 Young Artist Scholarship; Gold Medal; Certificate of Outstanding Interpretation; Work featured in the traveling exhibition; $200 Prize for Local PTA Unit.
Awards & Recognition Breakfast
Rockburn PTA will host a breakfast ceremony to recognize all of the participants and announce those who will be moving on to the next level of competition.
For additional information please visit the National PTA website